There is one ingredient in nearly every kitchen cupboard that can do wonders for your hair, skin and body.
This inexpensive, multitasking item is nothing but baking soda! In fact, baking soda can help you look your best from head to toe.
Here are 5 benefits of baking soda for your hair, skin and body.
1. Fights Acne and Pimples
To get rid of acne or pimples, you do not need harsh chemicals. Baking soda will do the work easily. The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of this kitchen staple helps treat the cause as well as reduce the symptoms of acne and other breakouts.
In addition, it helps balance the skin’s pH, which helps reduce the occurrence of skin breakouts.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a little water to make a paste.
- Apply it on the affected skin for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat once daily for 2 or 3 days, then reduce the frequency to 1 or 2 times a week.
2. Relieves Sunburn and Sunburn Blisters
During the summer, keep a box of baking soda handy. Due to its alkaline nature, baking soda has a soothing affect on sunburned skin, which helps relieve the itching and burning sensations. It also has mild antiseptic and drying properties that help dry out sunburn blisters quickly.
- Mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a cup of cold water. Soak a clean washcloth in this solution, wring out the excess water and apply it as a cool compress on the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day until you get relief.
- Alternatively, add ½ cup of baking soda to a bathtub filled with water. Stir well and soak yourself in this water for 10 to 15 minutes. After getting out of the bath, pat dry or allow your body to air dry. Do this once daily for a few days.
3. Treats Stained or Yellow Nails
Stained nails can be unsightly, but baking soda can whiten your nails so you do not have to hide them in your pockets or gloves. Its bleaching and exfoliating properties help remove stains.
- Put ½ cup of water, 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a small bowl. Stir well, until the baking soda dissolves. Dip your nails into the solution for 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat once every two weeks.
- Alternatively, mix 2½ tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Use a cotton swab to apply it on your nails. Wait 2 minutes before rinsing your nails with warm water. For best results, repeat once every 2 months.
4. Treats Smelly and Oily Hair
Smelly hair is a very embarrassing problem, and people with oily hair are more prone to this condition. Oily hair picks up environmental pollutants and strong smells more readily.
Baking soda can easily fix this problem because it helps reduce oiliness and also neutralizes foul odors. In addition, its alkaline nature balances the pH level of the scalp to keep it clean and healthy.
- Mix 1 part baking soda with 3 parts water. Apply it on your damp hair, wait 5 minutes and then rinse your hair. Repeat once or twice a month.
- Alternatively, add 1 tablespoon of baking soda to your regular shampoo bottle and use it to wash your hair 1 or 2 times a week.
- You can also use baking soda as a dry shampoo. Thoroughly mix equal amounts of baking soda and cornstarch. Sprinkle a small amount at the roots of your hair and tousle your hair around. Brush your hair thoroughly with a good quality brush and you will be impressed with the result.
5. Treats Body Odor
Baking soda is one of the best natural deodorizers that help treat mild to severe body odor. It helps absorb moisture and sweat from the skin, thereby reducing body odor. Being an antibacterial agent, it also helps kill bacteria that give rise to body odor.
- Combine ⅛ teaspoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of water and a few drops of any essential oil. Use a cotton ball to rub it on your underarms or areas where you sweat excessively. Use it regularly to fight body odor.
- Alternatively, thoroughly mix equal amounts of baking soda and cornstarch. Dust this powder onto your dry underarms to prevent sweating as well as bad odor.